Safety-Critical Verification and Validation
Critical systems are distinct in that they require a significant amount of Verification and Validation (V&V) activities in order to comply with industry certification requirements. In fact, V&V can easily account for the biggest chunk of effort in the development of safety-critical systems. In industries with the strictest regulatory requirements, V&V alone can amount to 70% of the total development effort. Regulations also often mandate that system development and V&V teams operate completely independently from one another, to prevent conflicts of interest arising. This requires organisations undertaking system development projects to partner with skilled, independent V&V experts, fully immersed in the technical and industrial contexts in which they operate.
CRITICAL Software’s comprehensive V&V services combine mature Software Verification Facilities (SVF) with a world-class team of experts to help organisations meet safety requirements in a timely, cost-effective way. We offer our clients a unique 4-stage approach to accommodate their specific V&V requirements:
- V&V Setup & Go: designed to support clients in setting up an effective V&V environment and to bring them up to speed with the use of key tools and resources.
- V&V Analyser: designed to help clients understand the gaps that exist in their projects according to the relevant industry standards in their area.
- V&V Accelerator: designed to provide a quick response team to help clients overcome project peaks and other challenging or unplanned V&V scenarios.
- V&V Plus: designed as a bespoke, comprehensive service to provide clients with the full-spectrum of V&V activities.
We have an international pedigree providing V&V services for some of the world’s leading institutions in demanding industries like aerospace, space, defence and transport. Our first ever client in this area was NASA, and safety-critical V&V and testing services have remained at the heart of our business since the very beginning.
Our extensive knowledge of embedded systems and the world’s most important safety standards mean we are able to assist organisations across the entire development life cycle. From airborne systems to spacecraft to railway signalling systems, our V&V experts are supported by our own multi-purpose Software Validation Facilities which add flexibility to our services by supporting automated hardware, model and software-in-the-loop test environments according to the most stringent industry standards, including DO-178B/C Level A. Through our world-class facilities, we are able to re-execute entire test campaigns at any point during development stages, delivering effective non-regression verification whenever the system subject to testing is modified.
The safety standards we support include ARP-4754/4761, DO-178B/C, DO-254, EN 50126/8/9, IEC 61508, ISO 26262, IEC 62304, ECSS Series and many more besides. Our services span the full stack of embedded systems, software, FPGA/ASIC/CPLD and integrated equipment:
- Planning of V&V activities to ensure conformity with safety standards and certification regulations
- Independent V&V of system requirements and design
- Formal verification of source code, unit and integration testing
- V&V of custom logic designs (ASIC, FPGA and CPLD)
- Hardware and software integration testing, as well as testing of integrated embedded systems
- Recording of V&V evidence required for certification
- Automated testing with software-in-the-loop (SIL), model-in-the-loop (MIL) and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL)
- Development and tailoring of automated test facilities for embedded software and hardware systems
- Test facilities and services for equipment acceptance and homologation testing
Our V&V services for critical systems are backed by a delivery unit that is rated at Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)® Level 5, the highest obtainable level, and a roster of quality certifications that include ISO 9001:2008, NATO AQAP 2210 and 2110 and AS 9100.